Holy Guacamole! My nephew makes some truly rocking guac and he’s shared the recipe with me… Perfect timing if you’re starting to think about Superbowl (feel free to laugh all of you who know me)… He whipped up a couple batches over New Years and it was spectacular as always.
- 4 Avocado's, mashed (choose ripe, but not mushy fruit and let them sit for a couple days if need be)
- 1/2 Pint Cherry Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 Small Red Onion (diced fine)
- 1 Bunch Cilantro (stems removed and chopped)
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 1 Small Serano Pepper (seeded, de-veined and chopped fine)
- S & P (to taste)
|Combine all the ingredients and mix well.|
One of my Nephews favorite tricks, throw the pit into the guac at the end to prevent browning is ineffective (sorry Sammy), read here why. Instead cover tightly with plastic wrap or waxed paper and smooth it down on the guac. You need to keep air away from the surface. The addition of citrus juice helps as well and this recipes hardy helping contributes to maintaining the vibrant green color.
And the best way to remove the pit?
Split the avocado in half and whack your knife blade down into the pit, when you pull back it will stick to the knife and pop out.
Happy New Year everyone!